Eew! Guests love to be grossed out when it comes to the Halloween party foods table. Creepy, oddly-colored or downright disgusting (-looking) party foods are a Halloween tradition.
In that vein (har har!), we’re pleased to share our Bloody Eyeball Soup recipe with you. This recipe’s looks are deceiving: it’s delicious! And it’s so very easy — and economical — to prepare.
This hilarious gourmet treat will have party guests going from “eew” to “mmm” with the first bite…and the fab flavor is guaranteed to bring them back for seconds. A tip: Serve your Bloody Eyeball Soup with a side of cornbread and follow it up with Tasty Turd Cookies.
Your Halloween party foods may be gross, but they sure will be tasty. Bon(e) appetite!
- 1 onion, diced very fine
- 1 green bell pepper, diced very fine
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- About 2 dozen mozzarella balls
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the green pepper, onion and garlic until the onion is transparent. Pour in beans and tomato sauce. Season with oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
- With a slotted spoon, collect half as many beans as there are cheese balls. Rinse these under cold water to cool.
- Cut each bean in half. Scoop a small section out of each mozzarella ball with a knife. Push half a bean into it to make an eyeball. Add the discarded cheese to the soup.
- Serve, adding three eyeballs to each soup. Yum!
- For an added twist, serve over rice on a plate for a ‘maggot’ of a good time!
Kids love the idea of eating the ‘eyeballs’ out of the bloody bath they float in and adults love the protein the kids get from the beans. If choosing to serve this dish atop ‘maggots’, slightly overcook the rice so that you have some clumps as well as single pieces.
Make a scream of a dinner this Halloween with our Bloody Eyeball Soup and just wait for the sounds of eww to turn into “more please!”